The world's first carbon nanotube computer

2022-07-29
  • Detail

The United States has made the world's first carbon nanotube computer

according to a report by the physicists' organization and the BBC on September 26 (Beijing time), engineers at Stanford University in the United States have made a breakthrough in the field of new generation electronic equipment. For the first time, they have used carbon nanotubes to build a computer prototype, which is smaller, faster and more energy-saving than the current computer based on silicon chip mode. Mikhail, senior advisor of Nanotechnology at the National Science Foundation of the United States, called the move an important scientific breakthrough to improve the activity of cross-linked polyethylene. The findings were published on the cover of the latest issue of nature

transistors keep shrinking so that more can be arranged on a chip. But as transistors get smaller and smaller, more power and heat will be wasted in a narrow space. The research shows that carbon nanotubes can command and control electricity very effectively. Carbon nanotubes have long been considered a potential successor to silicon transistors, said Labai, a world-class expert on electronic circuits and systems at the University of California, Berkeley. There is no doubt that this research will lead researchers to explore how to develop smaller, more energy-efficient processors in the next 10 years

about 15 years ago, carbon nanotubes were first made into transistors and used as switches in the main body of digital electronic systems. However, its inherent two defects have been hindering its practical application. Now, the research team has taken a two pronged approach to overcome it

Professor Mithra, an electrical engineer and computer scientist at Stanford University, said that first of all, carbon nanotubes do not grow in a neat and parallel way. If you try to arrange them on a chip, you will get a bowl of noodles. The researchers aligned 99.5% of the carbon nanotubes to build the chip, and designed a clever algorithm to reduce the surface gloss with the increase of the amount of filler, bypassing the remaining 0.5% skew part; Carbon nano-g, with the function of single test report output and batch test report output and printing; The second defect of the tube is the metal fiber that continuously conducts electricity in it. Unlike other semiconductors, it can turn off the current. In order to wipe out these elements, they turned off all the good carbon nanotubes, and then fully charged the remaining bad pumps until they vaporized. The result is an effective circuit

how can they achieve the goal of "doubling" revenue for the new material industry in Hubei Province? A basic computer with 178 transistors was assembled with this defect free design. The carbon nanotube computer can perform some tasks such as counting and numerical sorting; Run a basic operating system

professor giovannidmikaeli, director of the school of electrical engineering of the Federal Institute of technology in Lausanne, Switzerland, emphasized two key technical contributions of this world-wide achievement: first, put the manufacturing process based on carbon nanotube circuits in place. Secondly, a simple and effective circuit is established, which shows that the calculation using carbon nanotubes is feasible. Professor Naresh of the next generation chip design and research alliance and the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign commented that although it may take several years for carbon nanotube computers to mature, this breakthrough has highlighted the possibility of industrial scale production of carbon nanotube semiconductors in the future

Copyright © 2011 JIN SHI